Athens

Mini-bus
Semi Private Tours
Private Tours
Transfers

 

 

Copyright 2009-2017. All rights reserved

Chaeronea is a municipality in the Boeotia Prefecture. It is located in the Kifisós River valley, NW of Thebes. The area was first settled in the Prehistoric Period (site "Magoula Balomenou"). It was subject to Orchomenos up to the end of the 5th century BC: it then formed one of the 11 Boeotian districts until 338 BC. In the Roman era it was granted status of freedom.

SITE MONUMENTS

  • THE LION OF CHAERONEA: is a marble funerary monument (5,5 m. high) which marked the communal grave of the Sacred Band of Thebans that was crushed (338 BC) in the battle with Philip B of Macedonia. It was discovered in 1818 in pieces and was restored on a plinth 3 m. high.
  • ANCIENT THEATER
  • THE ACROPOLIS: with fortification walls of the hellenistic period and ancient theatre with its cavea hewn in the rock.
  • THE MUSEUM

USEFUL INFORMATION

Telephone: +30 22610 95270
Open: from the 1st of November until the 31 of March: 8:30-15:00

BACK